Accessibility:

The Archive

The archive of the Company of Merchant Adventurers of the City of York is still held at the Hall and contains documents dating from the early 1200s, before the foundation of the Fraternity and Guild of Our Lord Jesus Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary, the institution from which the present company descends, up to the present day.

It includes hundreds of original medieval charters, a cartulary containing copies of many of these charters, account rolls and books from the fourteenth century to the present day, rentals from the fifteenth century, maps and plans, building and repair accounts and records, records of admissions of members and apprentices, trade papers and minute books, and records of the York residences of the Merchant Adventurers of England and of the Eastland Merchants, to name but a few of the archive’s holdings.  There is a fine series of accounts beginning in 1432 and written on rolls of parchment. Many of the original deeds have their seals attached and the Company also possesses its original 15th century seal matrices.

In 2007 a number of members of the Company were interviewed as part of the celebrations of the 650th Anniversary of the organisation. They were asked about their views on being members of the Company in the 21st century and the interviews have been added to the archive.

The archives give a remarkable insight into the changes as well as the continuity of an organisation and a building which have lasted for over 650 years, and which continue to flourish today.

Publications:

The pre-1960 archive has been described in ‘A Guide to the Archives of the Company of Merchant Adventurers of York’ by David M. Smith, (Borthwick Texts and Calendars 16 (York, 1990) and a listing is available on the Access to Archives website (www.a2a.org.uk/).

‘The Company of Merchant Adventurers in the City of York: A Register of Admissions 1581 – 1835’, D.M. Smith (Borthwick List and Index 18 (1996)), and ‘The Eastland Company York Residence: Register of Admissions to the Freedom 1646-1689 and Register of Apprentices 1642-1696’, A.B. Bisset (Borthwick List and Index 17 (1996)) were published by the Borthwick Institute but are no longer in print.

Access to the archives

The Borthwick Institute for Archives at the University of York holds photocopies of many medieval deeds, account rolls, rentals, and of minutes for the period 1677-1985 (www. york.acuk/inst/bihr/).

Access to the original documents for academic research is by appointment only. Due to limited space and restricted opening hours, appointments should be made well in advance of your visit. Enquiries should be made to the assistant archivist at the Hall.

Please telephone 01904 654818 or email enquiries@theyorkcompany.co.uk.

Alternatively write to us at:

Merchant Adventurers’ Hall, Fossgate, York YO19XD.

 

 

A selection of documents from the archives

 

The seal from the  Elizabethan Charter of 1581

One of the Minute books

1430 Charter from Henry VI

The 1969 Grant of Arms

Part of the account rolls
 

The Company is the sole Trustee of the Registered Charities numbered 235256 and 700792. VAT number 475 4666 09.